“From Litchfield to Yale:
Law Schools in Connecticut, 1782–1843”
an exhibit at the Yale Law Library
The is open to the public, 9am–10pm daily, February 5– May 31, 2013 in the Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School. It was curated by Michael von der Linn, Manager of the Antiquarian Book Department at The Lawbook Exchange, Ltd., with help from Michael Widener, Rare Book Librarian in the Lillian Goldman Law Library.
You can also view this exhibit online via the Yale Law Library Rare Books Blog, at http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/rarebooks
This new Yale Law Library exhibit celebrates Connecticut's role as the birthplace of vocational legal education in the United States.
Although Virginia’s College of William & Mary began offering law lectures in 1779, the Litchfield Law School in northwest Connecticut was the first school to provide a focused curriculum of legal training, beginning in 1782. The school's success inspired the establishment of a law school in New Haven in about 1800, which eventually evolved into today's Yale Law School. Two other law schools operated for several years in Hebron and Windham. In the early 19th century Connecticut had more law schools than any other state in the union.
On display are student notebooks, textbooks, letters and other documents of the schools and their instructors. Included are items on loan from the Litchfield Historical Society and from Manuscripts & Archives, Yale University Library.